Wat Phra Kaew is the largest Buddhist temple in Thailand. It is located in the historic city center of Bangkok and is part of Grand Royal Palace . The construction of the temple Wat Phra Kaew began King Yodfa Chulaloke in 1785. Unlike most other Buddhist temple it contains no residential buildings for the monks. With its luxurious pagodas and statues resemble the magnificent palaces.
Three doors leads to the main building and only rulers are allowed to use the middle entrance. Even though the statue of Buddha in the central shrine is below the exceptional size, it is one of the most important icons of the Thai people. The statue was probably made in India and was donated to the king Ayuttaya in 15th century. At the time of the Burmese war it was stolen and discovered about 100 years later. On the white walls surrounding the temple Wat Phra Kaew are painted scenes of the Thai version of Ramayana mythology.